Ban On Expat Entry To Kuwait Unlikely To Be Lifted In Ramadan
A ban on entry of foreigners to Kuwait is unlikely to be lifted in the holy month of Ramadan as the country is struggling to bring COVID-19 infections under control, Kuwaiti media said.
A spike in daily infection rates in the country prompted Kuwaiti authorities last February to impose a ban on non-Kuwaitis’ entry that has recently been extended.
Current infection rates in Kuwait are “still alarming” despite their semi-stable daily trend, health officials said. They ruled out the possibility that measures in place against COVID-19 will be “modified or eased” during Ramadan or expatriates are allowed to enter the country until mid-May when the holy month ends.
Kuwait has recorded a total of 10,804 virus cases and 74 fatalities in the first nine days of April, making it hard for health authorities to recommend easing health restrictions in place.
Kuwait so far has registered a tally of 245,704 coronavirus cases and 1,403 deaths.
Last week, the Kuwaiti government extended a nighttime curfew until April 22, which was originally due to end last Thursday.