Death Toll From Typhoon Vamco Rose To 67 With 12 Missing In Philippines
The death toll from the deadliest cyclone, worst floods and landslides, caused by Typhoon Vamco, in the Philippines has risen to 67, with 12 people missing said the national disaster management agency.
Mark Timbal, the spokesman for the National Disaster Agency, said 12 people were still missing in the affected areas of the main island of Luzon. Noting that most of the deaths (22) recorded so far were from the northern region of Cagayan Valley, 17 in southern Luzon provinces, 8 from Metro Manila and 20 in two other regions. As emergency teams rushed to assist, amid pleas from local officials and residents.
- He added that more than 1.1 million people were directly affected by the disaster, including 370,000 people who had to flee their homes, noting that Vamco, the deadliest cyclone to hit the Philippines this year, set off from the Philippines on Friday, heading towards Vietnam.
- The damage to the agricultural commidities due to floods was reached at 1.2 billion pesos, while infrastructure damage was estimated to 470 million pesos.
- The President Duterte was scheduled to fly to the northern Tuguegarao province to assess the situation in Cagayan Valley region, which was heavily flooded after Typhoon Vamco after Luzon island and the capital Manila.
- Relief and rescue operations continued while the nearby Magat Dam is still releasing water. Vamco is the 21st cyclone in Philippines this year, after Typhoon Goni, the most powerful storm this year.